Thursday, July 17, 2008

Waiting for the Cable Guy...

Well, here it is, 9:40 in the morning, and no cable guy. Comcast said he'd be here between 9 and noon. So I guess maybe it is too early to begin grousing, but I like to get a head start on things. Why wait to be disappointed, I say.

Last night, I got an automated phone call from Comcast. They wanted to confirm my appointment for this morning, but first, they demanded that I enter my 'home phone number'. Well, they called me - they have my 'home phone number', don't they? But I obligingly entered it. Nope, the voice declared - that is not my home phone number. OK, maybe I fat-fingered it. I tried again. No, no, no, the voice scolded me. That is not your phone number. OK, I give up.

At this point, the voice assured me that the cable guy would arrive in the morning and gave me the option of pressing '5' to hang up. I wonder why I just can't hang up? Does pressing '5' cause something to happen that ordinarily would not? Ever the obedient consumer, I pressed 6, 7, and 2, then hung up.

Now I wait in hope for my cable guy to arrive.

Oh, and in the meantime - I am posting this using a neighbor's wireless internet - they really should encrypt their router, but at the moment, I'm grateful for it.

More news as events warrant...

UPDATE: Well, here we are at 12:04 and no cable guy. I called and was told that he'd be here between 9:30 and 12:30, which is 25 minutes away. I asked to be transferred to the dispatcher, and was. She (Tracy) got in touch with the installer and he apparently told her he was hung up on an install where the customer wanted much more than they had originally requested, so he was going to be 2 p.m. or even later. I am being bugged by my employer to get to work - so this is not looking good. Tracy offered to have the installer come between 4 and 7 p.m. - not really helpful. She then offered to reschedule for a different day. No, I've already taken one day off work and got my boss mad at me, I really can't take another. She agreed to call a supervisor and see if someone could come out here and hook me up. I now await a call from a supervisor. Sigh.

I would like to say that cable companies are not all like this - but you know, they're all like this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I read your blog. I'm sorry the technician did not make it at the expected time. Please let me know if you still need assistance escalating this matter. I would be more than happy to reach out to the leadership team on your behalf. You can reach my team at We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com.

Sincerely,
Melissa M.
Comcast Customer Connect
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Waterford Diarist said...

Melissa,

Wow! Thanks for finding my new little blog and getting involved! Now, that is impressive!

On the other hand - after the installer finally did arrive (1:30), he managed to get my cable TV installed, but told me that the 'provisioning' system was not working today, so no internet for me! He told me to call 888-COMCAST tomorrow and they could provision me over the phone. I hope that it goes well.